Sunday, June 12, 2011

Evil Eye Bracelets - From Your Mama to Madonna!

So, if you've grown up your entire life with an evil eye hanging off of your walls, cars, keys and yourself, you can totally relate to my post!

Just the other day, I looked back at my baby photos, and there it was! An evil eye safety pin attached to my onesie! I feel like if my mom and grandmothers could have somehow superglued it on my forehead, they would have, but of course, they couldn't keep it on me throughout my childhood. I mean what kid wants to wear "googly" looking eye beads throughout grade school and junior high?

I've always grown up with the fear of this negative energy that the evil eye is supposed to ward off. I never really paid attention to what it meant or what kind of negative energy my family was talking about, but all I knew is that the negative energy was evil and would bring you harm; therefore, I secretly believed in the powers of the evil eye - sh! don't tell any of the kids I was friends with!!

Both Leena and I lived in the heart of Glendale, CA, which has the highest population of Armenians in the US. Our Armenian heritage was all around us...Every Armenian grocery store we walked into carried the evil eye whether it was for resell or to protect the store itself. I would see all the Armenian ladies wear some sort of evil eye bracelet or necklace, all the elderly men would have evil eye prayer beads, and all the cars would have some sort of evil eye ornament hanging off of the rear-view mirror.

Never did I think the evil eye would be on the front pages of Us Weekly (Yay!), Vogue, or Modemoiselle, nor on the wrists and necks of almost every single Hollywood starlet. I never thought Tory Burch or Judith Ripka would design an evil eye collection.

The evil eye fashion trend was popularized by Madonna! She was first seen wearing the Red String Kabbalah bracelet along with other evil eye and hamsa hand charms. Check out the photos below!



You don't have to be a celebrity to own beautiful, evil eye jewelry!
For Celebrity Styles without the price tag, check out www.serenaleena.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment